How to Start Descriptive Essay: Examples, Outline, Format - Guide for Beginners
Many students are looking for a descriptive essay definition online and it is not surprising, because such task is very popular among all academic levels. The main aim of such a paper is to render a deep and clear image of a particular event, person or matter. The most important thing you need to remember is that outstanding descriptive essays are not about facts or numbers but about detailed descriptions, as well as using bright and powerful language.
How to Write a Good Descriptive Essay?
Completing such an assignment may seem quite complicated, so you need to keep in mind the main tips:
- Thorough planning. Writing a descriptive essay always starts with planning, as you need to have a clear idea of who or what you are willing to describe. Then you can note down all the reasons why you want to write a particular description. Finally, you should make a list of all the qualities you want to highlight;
- Writing a draft. It is much easier to make a final paper if you have several drafts. That is why you can write a few lists about such important details, as tastes, sounds, smells, etc, which are important for the essay;
- Write down all the details, which will help you to give a bright and clear picture of the matter. They need to help the reader understand your mood and emotions;
- Revision. Many students think that following a descriptive essay format and writing a few paragraphs is enough. However, when you are done with the main parts, you need to start revising your essay. Check whether you have discussed every important issue. Make sure you have used the right words to share your mood and emotions. Finally, check whether all the paragraphs are easy to read.
Apart from useful tips, you may find it useful to learn about the main mistakes of such an essay and avoid them in your writing. They include:
- Too many or too little details. Description is quite a thorough picture of a person, situation or scenery, so you should check whether you have provided enough details to give a clear and interesting picture but not to bore the reader;
- Avoiding a descriptive essay sample. You can get familiar with examples online and learn additional tips and useful elements, which you can apply in your paper;
- Poor language. While this may not be so obvious, if you make mistakes in your essay, your professor will significantly lower your grades even if the plot is outstanding. Use various software or ask your friends or our writing editor to proofread your essay.
Examples of Descriptive Essays
It is quite difficult to understand how to write a descriptive essay at first, so many students turn to descriptive essay examples to get familiar with its structure and content.
The best part of using samples is that they are free of charges and are written on a variety of topics, so anyone can find an example on his or her subject.
descriptive essay example
descriptive essay examples
descriptive essay outline
descriptive essay sample
examples of descriptive essays
how to start a descriptive essay
What are Good Descriptive Essay Topics: 49 Interesting Ideas
Tips on Descriptive Essay Outline
When you are only starting your paper, you need to complete a descriptive essay outline. It is a sort of an action-plan for the future work. When it comes to a descriptive essay, it should contain a plan of the introductory section, three to five main paragraphs and conclusions. Under every section write down the key points you want to discuss and then expand them into an essay.
With the help of an outline you’ll be able to follow an accurate plan and will highlight every important detail, not missing anything out.
If you open a descriptive essay example you will see that it greatly differs depending on the subject and topic. This also refers to essay’s structure, so there are different requirements if you are describing a person or an event.
However, a common description consists of the introductory section, main paragraphs and a conclusion. A reference page is not necessary unless it is not required by your professor. Although you may add sources you find relevant, as they influence your ideas or experience.
Always stick to your professor’s requirements and not exceed the required length of an essay. It should be quite short but informative and follow an accepted structure.
Now you know what is a descriptive essay and won't have any troubles completing it!